My early childhood education P.E. was a good experience. I had p.e. 3 days a week and the class was taught by a P.E. teacher. The focus of the class was skill building and we often had competitions during the class on certain skill sets. Coach Finn held classes outside under a pavilion and in the fields because we did not have a gym. Living in south Florida the temperature was usually good for outdoor activity but do to the amount of rain that we normally got, we often had to have class in the cafeteria. When I was in 5th grade our school was remodeled so we had to go to school in a temporary building. Here we had a field and a court, but on rainy days we held P.E. in a portable building. Twenty five kids playing dodge ball in a small room was definitely an experience. Some of the activities that I remember doing included dribbling a basketball and soccer ball, tennis ball and racquet manipulation, high jump, races, and jumping rope and we also played team sports like kickball, dodge ball and softball. I loved P.E. because I was good at all of the skills and usually finished at the top of the class for each skill set. I like playing games so I loved team sports. I didn’t like that everyone else wasn’t as enthusiastic as I was and didn’t but everything into the game. When I got into middle school I had the option to take P.E. or music. I decided to go into band, so I never got to do P.E. in middle school. In high school we had to take 1 year of P.E. before we graduated. I really enjoyed team sports but 3 of 5 days we didn’t play an organized sport but could choose between walking the track or playing a sport with a small group of 4 or 5 friends. As long as we were actively moving, we were good to go. We had class every day for an hour and 4 classes of 25 were on the field at once, each with their own P.E. teacher. I really enjoyed P.E. because I am competitive, but just like in elementary school I disliked when some people wouldn’t actively play the game. It comes down to the fact that I really hate to lose.
I don’t think that the current Georgia requirements for P.E. are good enough. I don’t think there is enough time for kids to stay active enough to be healthy. They should have PE every day as part of an active lifestyle. I also think that the kids should focus on learning skills, not standing around every day with team sports. The fact that no PE is required in middle school is ridiculous. This time in developing a healthy lifestyle is crucial and the school system is ignoring it. I think that PE is an important part of a child’s development that is grossly overlooked.
No comments:
Post a Comment