Motor Learning

Welcome to my blog for Motor Learning at Berry College...Enjoy!

Sunday, November 14, 2010

PDFE #12


In class we did a lab experience on the effect of feedback on performance.  There were two different types of extrinsic feedbacks we looked at, KR and KP.  Feedback is important in skill development.  Knowledge of results (KR) is a type of feedback where the person performing a task is provided with feedback of their results, how they performed. Knowledge of performance (KP) is a type of feedback where the person evaluation the task provides performance feedback after every test, or skill, and provides details about their general performance. 
Emma and I were partners for this lab.  The lab consisted of moving a pencil from one line to another while blindfolded and the distance away from the second line was recorded.  Emma received constant feedback after every performance.  I only received feedback when I requested it, which was 10 times throughout the 30 trials.  We each performed the task in three sets of ten, with a minute between sets and only a few seconds between each trial.  On average and throughout the retention test, I had the lowest distance away from the second line.  This concurred with the textbook’s finding that receiving feedback only when asked resulted in a better mastering of a skill.  I was able to focus on my hand motion and allow it to tell me if I performed correctly while Emma relied on my telling her how far and short she was of the mark each time.      
Something that could have influenced the results is preexisting motor skill.  I could have a higher rate of muscle memory than Emma, or just have been better at finding a rhythm.  It is also possible that hand size and position might have favor the task for me and not Emma.  Another thing could be the ability to focus in a noisy room.  All of these factors could have affected the test results.  

No comments:

Post a Comment