Motor Learning

Welcome to my blog for Motor Learning at Berry College...Enjoy!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

PDFE # 14


In class we performed a lab that featured segmented practice.  I practiced juggling using a segmented practice routine and Jenny practiced using whole part practice.  Part practice is when you break down a skill into individualized sections where one skill is practiced and then a second aspect of the skill is added and so on until the skill is practiced as a whole.  The accepted theory is that part practice allows a person to become more skillful at each part of the skill and therefore be more skillful as a whole.  Whole practice is just simply the act of practicing the entire skill, juggling in our case. 
Jenny and I were partners for this lab.  I practiced using segmented practice and Jenny using whole part practice. I began by tossing one tennis ball up in the air and catching it with my other hand. I repeated this 40 times while Jenny recorded the quality of my ball tossing skills. After a one-minute break I added a second ball and practiced throwing it at the exact time the first ball reached its peak. After another 40 trials I had all but mastered tossing two balls back and forth. I took another break and started again with 3 balls. The first 40 trials with the 3 balls were just practicing the timing of tossing them in the air so I didn’t have to catch the balls, just toss them.  The next set of trials was practicing the entire skill set of juggling.  During Jenny’s practice she was only allowed to juggle and not break down the components to practice. 
Comparing the amount of improvement based on our starting skill sets, segmented practice was more effective for me.  Jenny could juggle somewhat beforehand where as I had zero skill with juggling.  At the end of the trials I was able to juggle for a few rotations, a three to four hundred percent improvement for me.  Jenny saw little improvement overall, as she started with almost the same skill level as she finished with. This correlates with the textbook and expected results.  Outside factors could have affected the lab, like the fact that we were practicing in a hallway with many people around for distraction.  Jenny also needed more space to move around when she was juggling as she ran into the wall several times.

No comments:

Post a Comment