How did your performance progress in terms of the stages of learning described in
chapter 7?
I performed the lab with Emma recording my learning stages. While learning to tie the bowline knot, I went through the stages of learning. I was in the verbal-cognitive stage for the first 7 trials, getting the idea about what I was doing and really paying attention to each step of the process of learning the mechanics of tying the knot. I exhibited many of the behavioral traits of self-talk to guide me and heavy reliance on instructions. I progressed to the motor stage for the nest 20 or so trials. I was able to perform the task of making the knot much more efficiently and focused on consistently performing each movement. I knew when I messed up without anyone having to tell me or correct me. I reached the autonomous stage around trial 30 where my movements where automatic and I was able to take in my surroundings and talk to people while tying the knot with great success. I was able to make the knot time after time with little or no thought about the process.
Did your experience match what would be expected based on the information presented in the textbook?
Yes it did. In the case of learning a knot the stage went rather quickly as opposed to learning something that requires more muscles and skill like shooting a free throw.
As you progressed, what where the biggest challenges you faced and how did you go about meeting them?
My biggest challenge was constantly making the loop big enough. I could make the knot every time but I had trouble at the beginning getting the loop size correct. I figured out where to start the knot on the string to get the loop the right size and after that I was successful in doing the knot each time.
What happened to your performance (in terms of the stages of learning) when you tried to tie the knot upside down?
When I attempted to tie the knot upside down, it was like I was back in the verbal-cognitive stage but I moved through the stages much more quickly than I had when I was first learning to tie the knot.
No comments:
Post a Comment